Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 Winter Training Camp

New Year's Eve is here and with it comes a time to relect on the previous year and begin preparing for the next.

For the last five years, I have commenced my season with a winter training camp that focused on eating, sleeping, and drinking well and riding as much as possible. My training camp begins on Christmas Eve and extends through January 1. The simple plan is to avoid the over eating associated with the holidays and instead use the downtime to my advantage. Mother Nature provided me with above-normal temperatures and dry roads and I have taken full advantage of this gift. The training days are forward-looking and reflective. In 2006, I rode thousands of miles with my weekend group and enjoyed some memorable rides with my friends. This was the year for the Midweek Classic─Wednesday night's all-out hammerfest─where we pushed each other to higher levels of fitness.

For this year's camp I rode the rolling hills and seaside of Southeastern Massachusetts and spent one morning looping Central Park, all benefiting both mind and body. I'm using this training time to make plans for 2007 and set some goals for the upcoming road season. The Spring Classics are around the corner and now's the time to put in some hardman miles in prep for the faster months.

I wish all of you a wonderful 2007, one filled with more miles, more victories, and more joy than previous years. Thanks for taking time from your day to read my thoughts and share our common passion.

- RF

No comments: