Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Time Management


The season is rapidly approaching its half way point and with it comes low resting pulse rates, increased metabolisms, irate drivers, and a tan so defined it is laughable to the uninitiated. As July gets underway, the miles continue to climb and our passion for the bike and the time we spend in its presence is reaching a feverish crescendo. The cycling lifestyle is everywhere around us and, at times, all encompassing. Not only are there hours dedicated to riding and racing and talking about the sport, but with the Tour beaming worldwide we now dedicate even more of our already scarce time to cycling. With all of this time spent deep in the cycling mindset, our loved ones and friends can arrive at only one conclusion: cyclists are nuts!

Well, we agree wholeheartedly, we are a passionate bunch and to some that passion can easily be mistaken for an obsession. I mean, who in their right mind says "no" to the second piece of cake? And, yes, we know lycra ("spandex") is funny to everyone but us. With the time we spend riding our bikes, talking about bikes, preparing our bikes, or shaving our legs we could easily dig into something more substantial like solving world hunger or at the very least finishing that bathroom renovation.

Here in its simplest form is our excuse: cycling makes for a healthy body and mind (as well as alienation of those who are not indoctrinated).

So...to our friends and family, our jobs, and all the non-cycling outlets that make up our busy lives: thank you for your understanding and your patience. Thank you for affording us the additional hours to fit our 10 pounds of passion into our 5 pound days. Your investment in us insures you get us at our very best.

July is a tough month for us, trust us when we say that we miss you too and we look forward to reconnecting. August will be a quiet month, we promise.

September on the other hand...

16 comments:

Jim said...

Funny you should mention obsession. It is a common theme on my blog. I returned to racing at the ripe old age of 60 and I can still put the hammer down. Is there life after cycling? Great post!

Dan O said...

Nice post....

Yup - it's the sweet spot of the year for me also. Been riding 5 (or so) days out 7 for weeks and weeks now.

I arrived at work today psyched - great morning ride in and a great ride home the night before - taking pulls drafting 20-22 mph most of the way home, sharing the fun with 2 others.

Summer rocks.

Lancelot said...

dudes shouldn't worry about time management, I have four kids, live in Canada and can put about 10K a year BUT I just fractured my hip 3 weeks ago. I would take an hour ride a week for the next 3 months for a million dollars if I could.

Unknown said...

I am with Lance! I am 3 months away from being able to ride again. Crashed in a crit and today I get surgery stitches removed. Nothing worse than having your right foot be useless. I did pick up my new bike yesterday, other frame was broken in 4 places from my crash...

Newmaforma said...

Nice post. I too am recovering from hip and arm fractures. 16-months on, and with a near 1 year old boy as well. Riding is in small doses that prior would seem laughable. Today, they are the sweetest rides in a long time.

Helge said...

SEPTEMBER!!! CROSS, CROSS, CROSS, CROSS, COWBELLS, BEER, MUD, SCREAMING, SAND, PAIN!

Oh, and I guess there's racing also sometimes I forget about that part.

About baughb Labs said...

Welcome back Freddie. Java is on me.

Ron George said...

Cycling makes for a healthy body and mind

I don't refute that in most cases, cycling is a healthy sport. But you generalized it too much. Is the Tour de France healthy for your body. I doubt.

Also, a definitive link has been established between cycling and osteoporosis. http://www.medindia.net/news/Cycling-Boosts-Osteoporosis-Risk-48179-1.htm

Just one of the many.

I love cycling though. I'd rather die on my bike I guess.

Lancelot said...

I just back on my bike today for the first time in 6 weeks, was able to spin for 1 hour without any real traction on the wheel.

Another study in New York times came out on cyclsit and bone density.

As I am about to wage an all out war to the small fat around my belly in preview to an October Virginia ride. People do need to understand about their calcium intake and cross training, impact on bones is necessary.

I can say howevre, as an avid cyclist, no one at the orthopedic deprtement saw such a clean and strong return from a complete halt of weight bearing... so there is a big plus over the small minus of being cycling freaks...

AMR said...

So true, so true! Very nice post!

Even knowing that doing the Tour (or something like it) would be somehow unhealthy for my body, I would jump on the opportunity!!!

Passion? Yes!
Obsession? Yes!

oldschooly said...

Where are you? Hello?

Cycling to a PhD said...

I'm pretty sure BKW is dead. Or writing a book. Those are the only two explanations for the lack of posts since before the spring classics season.

William said...

Hello...

Is there anybody there?

I guess you're out enjoying the last of the summer sunshine and warmth

Anonymous said...

Radio Freddy is obviously nothing without Padraig.

Tom Bestrom said...

Dude update you blog...

NVdK said...

Fo rillz. And I thought I was bad. Update yer blog. And even tho July is a sweet month, it pales in comparison to October, a solid month of cross. Whoot!